Re: Mine scares me, it likes the speed

To: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Mine scares me, it likes the speed
From: Les Myer <LesMyer@geocities.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:31:21 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 02:02 PM 12/16/98 -0800, Mike Gigante wrote:
>maybe there is a simpler explanation. The wind noise gets pretty loud,
>louder than the exhaust and you auditory system effectively scales down
>the RMS of the total sound. the exhaust then seems quieter.

What I am saying, is that I observed a very noticeable quieting of the
exhaust after installing an H-pipe on a dual exhaust system with headers,
and wondered what increasing the pulse frequency in both pipes did to quiet
the exhaust.  I was speculating that this might be a reason for my 1275 to
get quieter at high RPM.  I can do this in third gear as well.  Maybe it's
a characteristic of my particular exhaust system, which is a long center
branch header - and 2" pipe to a glass pack transversely mounted behind the
fuel tank.  It is huge diameter for the engine size.  I also know the
balance pipe is supposed to be a specific length and diameter in order to
effectively quiet, but I have long lost the information about this.  It is
also supposed to add a couple of extra ponies.  Just wondered if anyone had
an explanation.

Les