converting to mechanical fuel pump

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: converting to mechanical fuel pump
From: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 05:25:23 +0200
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I have a 948cc A-Series longitudinal engine (9D) lying around
and would like to convert it to use a mechanical fuel pump.

It has a blanking plate where the pump should go.
Which type of pump should I use? Would a 17H68 from a Frogeye do?
Shall I have to get new studs (& gasket) or use the ones
that hold the plate on the block?

How can I tell if such a pump *can* be installed?
I remember, long time ago, someone mentioned feeling for
something behind the plate, what was that?

Thank you

Evangelos