Re: Many Thanks! -- Dumb Present Owner Buys Gas

To: "Philip Hubbard" <hubbard@idir.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Many Thanks! -- Dumb Present Owner Buys Gas
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 09:55:50 -0500
Cc: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>Thanks a million time over to everyone who contributed such timely advice
>on getting my "fuel pump" problem resolved.  Bottom line is that Arioch is
>back safe and sound in the garage.  He needed gasoline.  Duh!  Details of
>my "fuelishness" to follow for those wishing a nice laugh.  :)

Don't sweat the small stuff. As an example. When we bought our first
Midget in the summer of '77 (a '76) we bought it in Denver CO and drove
it to Casper WY, about 300 miles. After we left the dealer, An actual MG
dealership, we found that the wipers were shot. That was OK as it was
summer and WY is dry that time of year. About 170 miles into the cruise
we filled up the tank in Wheatland, WY and took off again. Along about
Torrington, we started into a cloudburst, with hail. We need to get our
new prize under cover so I, in the lead in a Toyota, took an off ramp and
made a left onto the opposite off ramp to get under the only bridge for
100 miles. (notice that if you make a left onto the opposite off ramp you
are now going the wrong way on a one way off ramp). Waited the storm out
and continued into Casper.

A couple of days later my wife (SU) tried to take the car to work one
morning but it would not run. After classes and work that evening I tried
to figure out what was up. Spark, fuel in filter etc. No Joy. Man was I
bummed. On friday after the car had been sitting in the driveway all
week, I finally sat down and went through the detail of what had happened
the morning it would't start. My SU said she went out and started the
Midget, came back in the house to finish getting ready and returned to
the car and it had stopped. She couldn't get it started again. Well the
fuel gauge said 1/4 tank so this could't possibly  be the problem so I
was left figuring on getting a fuel pump. Well, after I realized she said
it had been running and quit I got the old "light bulb over the head" and
went out and inspected the bottom of the fuel tank. It was dented, so I
rapped on it. Never had I heard a more hollow sound. Ran to the gas
station with my trusty 5 gal can, poured it in the fuel tank and after a
few cranks - all was right with the world.
Never trust the gauge. Use it for estimates only.

See it can happen to the best of us ;-)

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.