Rear Axle Socket

To: "Leo S." <ldsp@flash.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rear Axle Socket
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 16:25:31 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
OK, we have the front pulley nailed down, now the rear axle nut.

I know it is 1 7/8".

Why oh why did the British, in their infinite wisdom, make that
nut with the corners cut off? It seems to me that I need to use a
(shallow) SIX POINT socket, because I fear that the typical (and
very available) 12 POINT SOCKET will not have enought "meat" to
do an adequate job of torquing it down.

Are my fears unfounded?  Is it OK to use a 12 point socket on
them?

NOTE: I have been many places in search of a source for a six
point socket here in Phoenix Arizona USA. The truck places say
they have nothing that small (!!!), and everyone else has only
the 12 point in that size.  The tool trucks that service our
service stations and garages do not even list a 1 7/8" socket.

I know they are made somewhere, a friend of mine has one
(recently borrowed for the task).

Can someone enlighten me as to a source for these?

I can use either a 1/2" drive or 3/4" drive. A 1" drive socket
would require too many adaptors.

Thanks for the information.

Scott Meyers
Currently rewiring to more modern standards.....