Re: Generator gear reduction drive lubrication

To: macleans@earthlink.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Generator gear reduction drive lubrication
From: GMari58175@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:12:37 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 12/30/98 3:04:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
macleans@earthlink.net writes:

<<  I guess this applys to people still running their tachometer off
 their generator.  Does anyone know what kind of lubrication to use in
 the gear reduction unit on the back of my generator?  As these units do not
seal
 very well I imagine some type of sticky thick stuff is called for.
 The repro is for driving to the meet and the original is for the
 judges.  Any ideas? >>
Mike,
first of all, count on the repro breaking in short order.  They are CRAP!!!!
I repack the banded type with Lithium grease.  I use a very thick hypidermic
needle (obtained from a brit car pharmacist) and just force as much into the
unit as you can through the lub. point.  Also I inject the grease into the
short end (I think) of the generator box as the axel is hollow and will get
more of the lubricant into the gears.  Keep doing this until you see the
grease oozing out of the seams around the band.  Don't suggest oil type
lubricant as it offers no protection from the very delicate gears.
George Marinos
Sprite MKII An6
glen rock, nj