Speaking of originality...help!

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Speaking of originality...help!
From: Christopher Palmer <ctp@gbn.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 14:38:56 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I wanted to pose this question to the group.

I picked up a 1960 Bugeye, running, for $300.  So far so good.

Trouble is, the guy who I bought it from made so many changes that I would
probably cost me twice as much as it would be worth to get it back to
original, so I'm thinking about just doing the things that he did over
(doing them mechanically and aesthetically right this time)...he put a Fiat
124 Twincam motor and 5 speed in it (GASP!!)  I know what you're
thinking...but it fits nicely, and has an honest 100 horsepower.  To handle
the horsepower, he had the wheels widened to ridiculous proportions
(something I would change)...but after all that, he left the drum brakes on
it.  He stuck all the fiat's guages into a roughly cut plywood dashboard,
and put in a bench style seat like a Lotus 7.

Oh yea...and it came with a Vise-Grip steering wheel (no joke)

I don't know what condition it was in when he got it, so maybe he improved
it (I'd hate to think someone could have made it worse than this though)

So I guess I'm looking for moral support...or a really good reason to
return it to original specs...or a really good reason not to.

Thanks
CTP