RE: Datsun 5-speed conversion

To: "'Paul Dolloff'" <pauld@ekpc.com>, "'spridgets@Autox.Team.Net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Datsun 5-speed conversion
From: Jackson Zimmermann <JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 10:37:18 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
In my car the Datsun tranny was a lot quieter than the ribcase, but I
bet it would depend somewhat upon the condition of the ribcase in
question.  I use Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil in the tranny.

As far as the clutch is concerned, the kit is apparently designed for
use with the later model clutch slave cylinder that came on post '67
cars, otherwise the throwout bearing is overextended and sounds like its
bad.  You can compensate for this by just using only the top 1/4 of the
clutch pedal travel.

I don't think that first is much different with the Datsun than with the
ribcase.  I only used 4.22 diffs and the diff noise drowns out any
tranny noise.  I would not go with a higher diff as the 4.22 seems about
perfect and acceleration seems pretty quick (for Sprites than is).  As
far as keeping the speedo calibrated, I believe that Bill Perry sells
gear reduction kits to match whichever diff and tire combo you happen to
run, I would check with him.  I have been running without a speedo now
for more than 2 years and really don't even notice any longer.

You will LOVE this transformation!  The car is so much more fun and much
more comfortable on the highway than before!

Jackson Zimmermann
jzimmerm@albemarle.org
'64 A-H Sprite (1275 & 5-speed)
'85 BMW 535i (5-speed Q-Ship, much, _much_ quicker but not as much fun)