Re: Dumb Question Time-Rear Axle Threads

To: LRuggi2635@aol.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dumb Question Time-Rear Axle Threads
From: Grossac@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 19:43:59 EST
Cc: odernheimer@juno.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
It sounds like your axle housing threads are shot, for one reason or another?
If so, it is possible to save the housing.  I found my threads were shot on a
vintage bugeye racer rear axle, due to loosened or inadequately secured nut,
by DPO.  Tried various "thread-restore" type compounds to no avail.   But
found an industrial machine shop specializing in truck axles that was able to
weld on new metal and then cut in new threads, on a really HUGE lathe.  He
laughed at the miniscule size of the LBC axle.  But, less than $100!!!  I had
to completely dissassemble the whole rear assembly and take him only the bare
housing so it could be mounted on the lathe, but its now good as new.
I'm in NY, but I assume you can find a similar blacksmith wherever you are.
If not, I'll give you the name of my guy.
Chris Gross
60 Bugeye vintage racer