Digest, archives

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Digest, archives
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:25:21 -0700 (MST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
With a bit of reluctance I'll announce that this list now has a searchable
web-based archive at http://listquest.com, under the Hobbies/cars link.

So, if your internet service includes web capability, give it a try.  This
list, and many others, are currently available, and as time allows I will be
bundling up the archives of other lists and shipping them off.

The reason for the reluctance is that this is a commercial site.  I do NOT
like having to wade through a bunch of advertising to get to useful info,
but so it goes.  Not everyone can be like me and provide many hours of
service for no compensation.  Well, maybe a little bit of compensation now
and again, wonder if a search for "rats + coffee" at the above site will
find the article I'm thinking about, or if I only sent it to a few lists.

I was working on providing such a service here, but it was taking a long time
to get set up, and deal with various access issues.  So I basically just
gave up and will let these folks do it for a while.  Just another step in the
direction of having your computer be just like your TV, but without all those
annoying programs to interrupt the commercials.

It was nice to be able to just browse through the archives in monthly
chunks, without having to search for anything specific.  A good way
for newcomers to get a feel for the flavor of the list, but we can live
without that feature.  Who knows, maybe someday I'll get back to that
project.  But for now, I'm more than busy enough with just the basic,
bare bones list administration stuff.  If I did get a big batch of free
time, I might just use it to actually read some of these lists!

Anyway, try out the searchable archives, they should have all the mail
from the beginning, except for a small window between when I sent them
a copy of the archives and when the archiver subscription started.
I'll send them the missing messages RealSoonNow.

But one thing I *have* gotten done is setting up a digest version of this list.
What that does is basically bundle up all the day's messages into one piece
of email.  So you can choose to get the individual messages as they come in,
or you can get one big message to deal with at your leisure.  To subscribe
to the digest, send a message, plain text only, to majordomo@autox.team.net
with the command

  unsubscribe spridgets
  subscribe spridgets-digest

You may want to delay sending the unsubscribe part, until you check out the
digest, see if it works for you.

mjb.