Distributors interchangeability (?)

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Distributors interchangeability (?)
From: Thecarguru@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 00:40:55 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ive got a (relatively) easy question here.
My good buddy has two MGB's (the PO of my three 75 Midgets) a 74.5 RBGT and a
76 RBB.
He purchased a rebuilt lucas distributor from Beck Arnley for the 76 and gave
me the core.
I put it side by side with my spare dist from one of my 1500 motors.
After removing the clamp bracket, they look identical.
Are they? Will the lucas from my 1500 Midget also drop into, say, a 1275, or a
B motor, and vice versa? Are the advance curves different? This would explain
the listing for the Mallory dual point distributor in the VB catalog which
reads "sprite-midget" one part number each (for with or without vacuum
advance) no specific engine size or years.
If this is all true, that makes at least one thing rather universal about
these cars!
Just checking with the list gurus for confirmation/information here!
Thanks in advance,
Gary (the guru) Doornbos
75 Midgets