Tranny Noise

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny Noise
From: "Paul Dolloff" <pauld@ekpc.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 08:38:49 EST5EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
List,

Last night was a good Spritely night.  If you remember, my recent
5-speed conversion resulted in an unknown tranny noise.

I took the Sprite to the guy who did the overhaul (2 bearings) on the
Datsun transmission before conversion.  After a drive during which he
heard the sound, we raised it on his rack, started it, and put it in
gear.  Guess what the noise was...it was being made by a ring which
appears to be a mud/dirt guard around the driveshaft located just
before the driveshaft enters the differential.  Man!  Was I a happy
camper knowing that the motor and tranny didn't have to be pulled.

Now, how the heck do I fix this?  Pull the driveshaft off?  To what
and how does this ring attach?

Other than that, is this conversion too cool or what?  Man is it nice
to put the car in fifth and it sure doesn't take long to get used to
down shifting into first.

I actually like the shorter travel of the clutch.

I've got a 4.22 rear end and this is no way am I going to try the
3.9.

Needless to say, I'm an excited guy.

Later,
Paul