EU threat to secondhand spares

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: EU threat to secondhand spares
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 22:39:45 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Sorry to blast the whole list but I thought this might be of interest
to our European listers.

The following text was quoted from "Practical Classics", December 1998,
Issue 13, page 24.  I figure some of the lister in the EU might be
interested in this item.

---- Start quote -----

        The future of secondhand spares could be in jeopardy if the latest
European Union directive goes ahead.  The proposed new directive on 'End of
Life'
of vehicles, aims to protect the environment by ensuring the correct
disposal
of waste materials, such as engine oils and other fluids, plastic and
metal.
Unfortunately, the ramifications for anyone who needs to break a vehicle
privately for spares or store one for future dismantling or restoration
appear not to have been taken into consideration.

Only licensed commercial vehicle dismantlers would have the right to scrap
a vehicle and issue the necessary certificate of destruction.

Also, an amendment proposed by MEPs want the sale of second hand parts to
be safety checked.  This could threaten the future of autojumbles.

The new directive is, however, unlikely to affect vehicles kept under a
Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN), according to a DVLA spokesman - a
good incentive to fill in the paperwork.

Secretary of the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC) Mike
Holt-Chastenauneuf said: "The full content of the proposal is not clear,
but it will be drastic allowed to go through.  The Federation will
fight for an exclusion clause to protect the historic vehicle movement."

International historic vehicle organization IHVO is also fighting for
our rights, pushing the EU to have the definition of the end of a
vehicle's life worded as: "A non-roadworthy vehicle whose owner is not
prepared to be responsible for it or to store it adequately.

---- End quote -----

I thought some lister might be interested in this item.  I am not
sure how accurate or alarmist this item is, so check it out if you
like.  Just not a fan of stupid legislation like this.

Bill Gilroy
77 Midget, and still on the lookout for a parts car

PS.  Practical Classics is an interesting read,  lost of stuff, an
probably worth the $7.50 US that the clipped me for it.