Re: Crank runout

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Crank runout
From: "Nathaniel J. Leon" <connectcds@home.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:20:53 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Ulix:

Total indicated runout is the total variation from the ideal cylinder.
You have a total indicated reading of .0012" based on your -0.0006 to
+0.0006 readings. The distance between the high limit and the low limit
is .0012".

For an normal stock engine from BL .003" run out may be OK.
Unfortunately you have taken the stock engine and increased the
displacement and most likely improved its performance also (hot cam and
higher compression pistons, etc.).  Depending on how highly tuned you
engine is and how hard you want to push it you may get away with .0012"
of runout.

If it were me I would have had the crank inspected before polishing and
balancing it. It should have been explicitly requested in the purchase
order.

Right now how much do you want to risk?

How much would it cost to fix the crank?

How much would it cost to replace the crank?

How much would it cost to replace/rebuild again the engine when the
Crank gave up the ghost?

Niel Leon