Re: Weber trouble? Maybe....maybe not!

To: Christopher Palmer <ctp@gbn.org>
Subject: Re: Weber trouble? Maybe....maybe not!
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:16:05 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

Christopher Palmer wrote:

> It had run fine for 2 years.
> It sat for several months while buying a new house, moving, fixing, and
> having a baby. The battery went dead.  I charged it.
>
> It fired right up, and I drove it...no troubles.

I think the root of the problem is somehow around the 'sat for two years' thing.
Same battery? I would just change it. Or, have a load test put on it at a shop -
could be broken plate inside affected by vibrations.

> Then one morning on the way to work it started to stumble and would not
> idle...I nursed it home.
>
> A few nights ago it was running fine.  I parked it for 5 minutes...the
> starter wouldn't crank over at all (this happened twice in one day)...Maybe
> the extended storage did in the battery (?)  Waited another 5 minutes,
> started up fine......but got to the
> end of the street and it started acting funny.  It wanted to idle at
> 500RPM...then wouldn't idle.   Nursed it home again (5 miles) and parked it.
>
> One hour later I went out and it started right up, and idled fine...then
> put it in the garage.

Don't rule out leaky/blown head gasket - the sitting thing again. Do a
compression check.

> I am getting rid of the copper core wires in case they are messing up the
> Ignitor (maybe not an issue...maybe too late??)

Don't know here....not likely but worth a try.

> Then:  Who knows?

Weber carbs of all types have very small idle jets, which contribute greatly to
the main mixture too, and can cause stumbling and misfire. Pull them out and
inspect, blow air through (the sitting thing again - varnish from evaporated
gasoline maybe......).

Good luck and let us know - so we can add to our stable of 'someday it may
happen
to us' information.

Scott Meyers
1960 Bugeye 1275