gearbox questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: gearbox questions
From: ric_bergstrom@juno.com
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 18:56:26 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
What to look for on a tranny inspection?

I have 4 gear boxes..the one in the car pops out of 1st gear..so I am
going to swap one out.

the input shafts on 2 have a fair amount of play.  How hard is it to
change the front trans bearing and seal?

The one I opened up had gear oil in it.....but the gears and baulk rings
looked great,  There was a very slight amount of surface rust on some
gear surfaces, anything to worry about?

strangest thing was a slight yellowish white powder between the
gears..when I went to pick it out with some dental tools
I have I also got some very thin pieces of metal..not sure  what that
was...maybe the gear oil was eating up something?

I don't see these pieces in any manual.

Anything else to check?

Would you just rebuild it completely?  Would you replace the rear seal
and bushing?

Richard L. Bergstrom, President, Central Virginia British Car Club,
Richmond, VA
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~http://www.centralvamg.com/~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HEAR YE! HEAR YE!  The MG club is no more.  We now are the Central VA
British
           Car Club and welcome all forms of automobile from the British
Isles.
 If you live within 100 miles of Richmond you should join us!   Email me
for INFO!