Ribcase Transmission Problem

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ribcase Transmission Problem
From: Scott & Glenda Meyers <autox@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 09:47:10 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi list!

THE PROBLEM -

A healthy 1960 Bugeye 1275 used for autocrossing. Weber, header,
electronic ignition, etc. Towed to events, rarely street driven,
except to test the latest tuning effort.....   ;-).

The ribcase transmission was fine except for 'scraping' into
second and third gear before the engine rebuild. A new clutch and
pinion bush was included in the rebuild.

For me in mild street testing, and with my wife driving at last
weekend's autocross, the transmission now likes to sneak out of
second gear into neutral (it has the 3.90 gear, so we start with
first and spend the duration of the course in second). This
happens when the driver backs off of the gas, and then reapplies
the throttle. You don't know it is out of gear until you get back
on it.

Oddly enough, during *my* eight runs at the autocross, it *never*
came out of gear. During my wife's eight runs (same day same
course) it came out three times! She swears the car does not like
her......  :-)     The car is very healthy and fast. I typically
run times with the fastest Corvettes and E Street Prepared
Camaros and Firebirds.

THE QUESTION -

1) Why? What is (beginning) to fail? Why for her (and in mild
street driving), and not under more severe conditions? Is this
anything that can be fixed without a full rebuild?

2) Just how complicated are these transmissions? I have rebuilt
engines for Sprites, MGB's, 914's, Dodge slant sixes,
318-361-383-426 V-8's, and rebuilt (1960-1970) Dodge three speed
gearboxes. Are these complicated little suckers, or within the
capabilities of someone fairly mechanically inclined (and no
special tools)?

Is there a specific book available for purchase outlining a
step-by-step rebuild?

3) Is it really necessary to pay the $800+ for the Mini Mania
rebuilds, or are there usually local people who can handle a
proper rebuild if I decide this is beyond me?

4) Are the improved brass synchros sold by Mini Mania and others
really worth the extra money over the stock ones for my purposes?

Any and all advice appreciated.

Scott Meyers
"Shiftless" in Phoenix.....   :-(

Extra question - I have a 'spare' ribcase transmission that came
with the car, but no history. Is there a way to "inspect" it to
tell if it is in better shape than the one in the car without
actually trying it?