Repeated Fuel Pump problems

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Repeated Fuel Pump problems
From: "Jarrod Harris" <mgjarrod@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 14:48:06 PST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi list, I'm having some problems with a mechanical fuel pump on a '76
midget.  About 2 weeks ago, I had a bad fuel pump.  It wasn't sucking at
all anymore, so I ordered a new one.  I got the new one and put it on,
but I think I messed up when putting it on because after I started the
car a few times and then pulled the pump off again, I noticed that the
arm of the pump had broken off.  I just figured that I didn't get the
arm up above the shaft.  I took the arm off the old pump and used it on
the new pump.  This time I made sure I got it on right.  My car was
running great and I had been driving it for the past week until
yesterday it died on me.  I traced it back down to the fuel pump and
then pulled it off.  The arm off this pump had broken off too!  What's
going on here?  The first time it broke off, I just figured that I
messed up.  But this time, I don't know what's going on.  If you can
tell me what's going on in there or how to fix this, please respond.  I
thank you all very much for your help,

-Jarrod