Brake light switch

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake light switch
From: "Noel, William M" <noel@BATTELLE.ORG>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 11:45:39 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have an unusual situation on my '72 Midget.  I broke both wires from the
terminal connectors on the brake light switch.  Not a problem I say to
myself I can resolder the connections.  However, rather than resolder the
connections in place, I though it would be better to remove the switch and
clean the connections and do the job properly.  Upon removing the switch, I
get the impression that the switch may not be the correct one because, in
order to remove the switch, I have to press the terminal connection back
against the base of the terminal in order to rotate and unscrew the switch.
If I didn't press the terminal wings back against the base the terminal,
which is like a short wing, doesn't have enough clearance on the top of the
fender well.

It appears to me that the entire switch assembly is too long and too wide to
be mounted with the wires soldered.  I am new and I don't have a basis of
comparison, is it possible that I have the wrong switch?  If I buy a new
switch, will the fit be better, or is it true that I need to mount the
switch and then solder the connections?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks,
Bill Noel
noel@battelle.org