Re: washers, flat and locking

To: robert@woozy.com
Subject: Re: washers, flat and locking
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 21:17:55 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi,

>But I was wondering about all of the bolts and locking washers that are
in
>less critical areas like the ones that secure the front and back plates
>the block or the timing cover bolts and washers. Can I get away with run
of
>the mill hardware store stuff for these applications?

Hardware grade 3, NO.  Grade 5, yes.  Home depot has mostly grade 3, most
neighborhood hardware stores have grade 5 or 8.  8 isn't needed.

Most of the nuts, bolts and washers that come off the front and rear
cover plates and covers are usually just fine to re-use.  Some washers
are special shapes and should be re-used as they are special purpose.

Paul

Morriservice
503-978-3998
PAsgeirsson@juno.com