Trans Rear Seal

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Trans Rear Seal
From: Glenn Goodspeed <ggoodspe@startext.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:13:08 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I have the aforementioned problem with an oil leak making the car floor
grimy.  Since no woman has been brave enough to accompany me in the
Sprite in the few months I've been driving it (except my wife, once), no
one has needed to bring a dress to the cleaners because of it.  Then
again, if the floor wasn't such a mess, maybe I wouldn't be hesitant to
invite passengers.

Anyway, I bought a new rear oil seal from Moss for the transmission
(it's a smoothcase in a '61 Bugeye), and have never seen one like it
before.  It has a seal like I expected, a rubber-and-metal ring, but it
also has a felt seal and a sheet metal cover that appears to hold both
seals.

Questions:  Are all three items normally installed?  Can I do this
without removing the engine and transmission?  Thanks.   -Glenn.