Dielectric grease(long)

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Dielectric grease(long)
From: Thecarguru@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 23:28:18 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
A word of caution about using dielectric grease on 12 volt contacts.
Dielectric grease is NOT a conductor.  It was designed to be used in high
voltage situations, like inside a distributor cap to prevent arcing.  The high
voltage at those contacts goes right through it, but it prevents the voltage
from tracking around to the other posts inside, and it keeps water out of plug
wires.

This information was just posted here a few weeks ago, but I forgot who posted
it.  At the time, I was also under the impression that dielectric was supposed
to conduct, so I squeezed some out on a file card and tested it with my ohm
meter.  It is definitely not a conductor.

Look for another type of grease, maybe one with copper in it for low voltage
contacts, and test it with a meter.

Allen Hefner #51
'77 Midget (DSP)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport (HS)
Hi Allen.
While I do agree that this grease is primarily designed for "secondary igniton
connections" I must add that it is not being used as a "conductor" of
electricity.
What I use it for is as the package states: "waterproof, heat resistant. Uses
include electrical connections,spark plug boots,battery terminals,distributor
caps,ignition coil connectors,headlight and rear light sockets,etc. Stops
corrosion on electrical connectors."
It is permatex #67VR and I have used it for lightbulb sockets and switches for
years. I dont think it actually has enough insulating characteristics to stop
metal contacts from making physical "contact" at connections. I literally
STUFF the grease into turn signal and brake lamp sockets, liberally coat
switch internals (including the rocker switches on the dashboard) and even
horn contact rings. If you purchase a newer car you may find GOBS of a nasty
yellow grease inside every external bulb socket. As it is much thicker than
the permatex stuff I would expect it would be more of an insulator , but it
keeps the contacts from corroding and funny- the bulbs seem to work just the
same with or without it.
Besides, if I wanted to really screw things up, I WOULD put a conductive
grease into the backup light switch. That way the lights would be on ALL THE
TIME now wouldnt they??  The backup light switch on the 1500 Midgets has (of
all things stupid) a HOLE in the middle of the plastic end, that allows air,
moisure, dirt, etc into the switch. Many of these switches simply corrode and
quit working.
Im not arguing that it conducts electricity, but that it doesnt HURT the
contact made. Besides being used in the industry, if it really harmed anything
at all how come all the bulbs and switches and electrical connections Ive used
it on still function??? And doing so daily?
Gary
75 Midgets (and other iron)