Bugeye BMC Hardtop/Numbering

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Bugeye BMC Hardtop/Numbering
From: Brian Thornton <bthor@master.adams.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 08:43:41 -0500
Cc: BRUCE48127@aol.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Listers, Especially BMC Hardtop owners:

I am in the process of restoring a BMC Factory Hardtop for my 1960 Bugeye
Sprite.  Upon removing the side window seals last night, I discovered a
number stamped on the driver's side reinforcement plate that is used to
provide support for the rear anchoring stanchion fasteners.  The number on
my plate is 3380.  I'd like to know if this is a sequential number,
meaning, this is the 3,380th hardtop produced or is this some sort of date
code.  For the life of me, I can't figure how this number would work into a
production date code.  I've considered month, day, year (March 38th, 1960)
this doesn't make sense.  I've considered day, month, year (33rd day of
August, 1960) this doesn't make much sense either.

I'd like to hear about any ideas that may "break the code".  Secondly, I'd
like to hear from the owners of the aforementioned hardtop.  Please have a
look at the number on your top (hidden under the rubber portion of the
seal) and pass it along.  Perhaps we can make sense of the numbering system
if we have several numbers to work with.

Thanks for your help!

Brian Thornton
AN5
AN9 with factory hardtop (no numbers!)