Re: Tires: A Story (Long)

To: adrian@icx.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tires: A Story (Long)
From: Richard D Arnold <richard.arnold@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 07:09:38 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Adrian:

>This could very easily cause problems with the manufacturer
>warranty because they couldn't write down the starting mileage...

I had a similar problem with a set of tires and a chain tire store.  I
bought the tires and had them mounted, but didn't install them for about
six months (no road hazard warranty, BTW).  I only brought the wheels in,
and when they asked about the mileage, I told the store that I wouldn't
be installing them right away.  I was told that it wasn't a problem.

You guessed it:  three months after the warranty expired (from time of
purchase), a belt separated on one of the tires.  I thought I was still
within the warranty period, because I didn't put the tires on the car
until six months after purchase.  The tire store refused to replace the
tire.

My cynical nature makes me keep receipts and make notes on lots of
otherwise mundane things (job hazard, I think).  I had annotated my
receipt with the date I put the tires on the car.

I called the regional manager for the store, and when he wasn't in,
called his supervisor, who was also gone, and eventually talked to the
national supervisor.  I explained nicely that I was told that it wasn't a
problem when I bought the tires, that it lead me to believe that the
warranty began when the tires went on the car, and that I was otherwise
very happy with the tires, although I didn't think a whole lot of their
local store.  He promised to look into it.  Thirty minutes later, the
store manager called, apologized profusely, had an employee come to my
place of work, remove the wheel from the car, take it to the shop, mount
and balance a new one, and return and reinstall it.

I still don't do business with that store, although I do use another
store owned by the same chain.

Since then I confirm almost everything in writing to avoid future
problems ('nother job hazard).  For instance, I think that if I had sent
the store a letter thanking them for the help with the tires and saying
something like "I was pleased that your store employees took such an
interest in my car, even though I only brought in the wheels to be
mounted.  As they will recall, the car is my pet project and the wheels
and tires won't even be put on the car for some time.  It was nice to
learn that this wouldn't affect the warranties on the tires.  Joe (or Bob
or Fred or Nancy or whoever) was very helpful."  Had I done this, I would
have had something to fall back on.

I have used this in a similar situation (home electronics) where the item
wasn't going to be put into use for several months.  The department
supervisor pitched a fit, but the store manager agreed with me that it
should be covered under warranty.  The letter, I think, lent some
legitimacy to my claim (besides being fairly good proof in small claims
court, which I was quite willing to file an action in).  YMMV.

The moral of the story: CYA

Rich