RE: Bug Eye Upgrade Questions

To: "'Philip Hubbard'" <hubbard@idir.net>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Bug Eye Upgrade Questions
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:55:17 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Lets see...

-----Original Message-----
From:   Philip Hubbard [SMTP:hubbard@idir.net]
Sent:   Saturday, February 20, 1999 12:04 PM
To:     spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject:        Bug Eye Upgrade Questions

Well, I'm starting to lean more towards doing a Bug Eye as my restoration
project.  <Lined up my dad's garage so the restoration idea is a go.>  If I
went with a Bug Eye, I would want to make some improvements.  This leads me
to a few questions.

1.  I'd want to upgrade to a 1275cc engine.  I assume from earlier comments
that this is a fully reversible decision if I decide to go back to the
original or I end up selling the car.  Is this true?  IOW, it does not
requiring any cutting of the chassis or whatever, right?

[Phil Vanner]  Right. See Generator/Alternator for tach considerations

2.  Will either a smoothcase or ribcase tranny work with the 1275?  I'm
assuming I'd want to upgrade to the ribcase if I couldn't take the idea of
putting a Japanese transmission in my LBC.

[Phil Vanner]  Go with the ribcase stronger, easier to find, and easier to
rebuild.

3.  I've been told that the front drum brakes are ok to leave as long as
I'm just talking street use.  Bad idea for any kind of autocross?  I don't
envision doing a lot of that, but one never knows.

[Phil Vanner]  I have autocrossed a drum-brake Spridget and it's
"interesting." It can be done, but I'm going to discs.

4.  Alternator vs. Generator - do I need to upgrade the generator to an
alternator?  I won't be having a radio.  So it's a case of how bad are the
generators.  Halogen lights?  Maybe, but I don't have them yet on Arioch,
the '74 Midget so I may never even do that either.

[Phil Vanner]  I went to an alternator because my generator died and I
found a Mitsubishi  alternator cheap. I now have plenty of juice and it
wasn't very hard. You must do the positive to negative ground conversion
for this, if it hasn't been done already. Also the bugeye tach is driven
from the generator, if you dump the bugeye generator you probably want an
electric (pulse) tach.

I don't know of anything else I'd maybe need to upgrade?  Anything I've
missed?

[Phil Vanner]  Add a Sway Bar? Panhard rod? I still use the downflow
radiator, some might recommend the later crossflow. Pick your rear end
gears: 4.22 3.9 or 3.7

As always, all responses are most welcome and appreciated.

Philip
1974 Damask Midget - Arioch, Lord of Chaos