Re: Ca Title

To: itsmike@lj.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ca Title
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 23:04:16 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 2/28/99 3:15:51 AM, itsmike@lj.net writes:

<< Hello everyone. Im new to to the list and have a sprite, i think its a 65
HAN8L is part of the vin. I got it from a family member that has passed away
and i have no title. Was wonderin if any one out there knows how i go about
gettin a title. I know its from cali, i live in nevada. I have some old
plates that were in the car but not sure if there for the car.>>

Mike,

HAN8's were make form Mar 1964 to sep 1965.  If it is a Calif. car among your
families papers should be a title.  If you are going to register it in Nevada
I would talk to the DMV there as Calif. DMV is normally a lot harder to get
these things resolved.

<< i also have some questions about the car. it has the SU carbs, what kinda
oil is best to use in the dampers and how full do you fill them?>>

You will get a verity of answers, the factory called for 30wt. same as the
engine and transmission.  However oils have changed considerable in the last
forty years.  Some folks like to run 20 wt. and some multigrade. The big
difference is how fast the damper jumps up when you open the throttle.

<<And whats the easyest way to determin if the car is a neg or pos ground. it
has no battery and no cables. >>

The car was originally positive ground.  Look at the face of the tachometer,
just above the center and see if it has "Positive Earth".  If it does then
look on the back of the tach, there should be a white wire that goes to a
fitting on a post makes a loop (about 1/2" diameter) and then goes to the fire
wall.  If this wire is intact, that is a single uncut piece of wire the car is
positive ground.  If the wire has been cut near the loop then probable someone
has tried to convert it to negative ground.

Good Luck

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk in disguise)