Re: Keeping tires beautiful

To: dougi@home.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Keeping tires beautiful
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 10:35:17 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/8/99 12:28:22 AM Eastern Standard Time, dougi@home.com
writes:

<< Any advice on keeping tires clean and shiny would be appreciated. (Besides
 not scuffing them on curbs, that is).

 I'm nearly finished the job of bead blasting and repainting my steel wheels,
 and I'd like to clean up the tires before remounting them.

 Does anyone have any secrets? What is the best way to clean them? Are there
 any waxes, polishes, etc. that work to keep them looking good?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Just scrub them clean with a wheel brush or good scrub brush, almost any kind
of cleaner (409, Fantastic, Simple Green), and rinse with a lot of water.
Then use one of those spray on tire cleaners that you can get at any auto
supply store or mass merchandiser like K-Mart or Wal-Mart.  Just spray it on
and let it dry.  It shines the tires nicely.  (Do not use these one-step
cleaners if you autocross.  A little overspray on the treads will affect your
traction.)  Also, Armor All makes several different shine levels now.

A coat of wax will help keep the wheels clean and shiney.  I wouldn't use a
car wax on tires.

I just finished painting my Rostyle wheels this weekend.  Are you going to use
any kind of clear spray on top of the paint?  I'm worried that the tire
mounter will scratch up the new paint.  I used Eastwood Co. rattle can paint,
which is very good stuff, and I am going to wait a few weeks to make sure the
paint is completely hardened before mounting the tires.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport