Brake Shoe Update

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake Shoe Update
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 23:43:33 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Folks,

Got side tracked for a couple of days but back at it today.  In answer to all
the great suggestions as to the odd wear this is what has been found thus far.

Franks suggestions:
<<Three possibles for this problem.
<<1) you drive with the hand brake on.>>  -- Not a chance.
<<2) you keep the rear brakes adjusted too tight.>> -- Not likely.
<<3) brake drums are out of round.>>  -- Looks like the culprit, will confirm
one way or the other for sure tomorrow.  These drums were turned by a small
local shop and is the first time in over 30 years that anyone has touch the
brakes on any of our cars.  I have always done my own work but no longer have
access to a lathe.

Paul provided;
<<I'd like to add another one.  The shoes used to be supplied with two
different friction materials.  Hard for the leading shoe and soft for the
trailing shoe.  Hard on the leading as it is self energizing and wears
faster, that's the bottom one on a Bug Eye.  Now the shoes have the same
material on each.  Go figure.>>

Looked at the shoes today and sure enough they are all the same, so are the
replacements.  Found a local shop that relines shoes this afternoon, already
had the new ones unfortunately.

More to come.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)