Re: Quarter Panel Beading

To: Jay Bourgraf <jaybird@isoc.net>
Subject: Re: Quarter Panel Beading
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:37:06 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Jay,
Noone else has answered this yet, so I'll say something.
I have seen some very elaborate restorations where the beading was removed
with an air chisel, the area sandblasted and chemically treated and just
the top of the "T" brazed back on.  There must be agood reason for doing
this.
I don't know, but it may be hard to get the rear fenders off without
damaging them.
Ulix

On Tue, 9 Mar 1999, Jay Bourgraf wrote:

> Hi All,
>     I'm smack in the middle of restoring the body on my 65' MKIII
> Sprite and I've run up against a small dilemma. Both of my rear
> quarters are in excellent original condition, with only slight rust at
> the bottoms (mouse nests). The rear deck area is also in perfect
> shape. But, the beading between the two panels is badly rusted on the
> top (both sides).
>     How can I get this beading out without trashing a quarter panel?
> Is it spot welded or seam welded? I would rather put new beading in.
> One guy told me that he ground off his beads then leaded on just the
> top of the new beading back on the quarter for cosmetics. I'd rather
> fix it right and once. Has anyone been here and had this situation
> lately?
>
> Thanks       Jay Bourgraf
> "Rust in my eye, cut-n-smashed fingers, weld burns on my arms and I
> can't wait to get back down there tomorrow and do it again!"
> 65' MKIII Sprite

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9