USA Spec Sprite

To: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: USA Spec Sprite
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 15:33:34 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi List,

A friend of a friend has bought a USA spec Sprite in England.  I think the car
car was perhaps ex-California.  It was damaged in transit and was sold for a
mere £175.

The car is modified, especially the bodywork and may have been autocrossed.
However, some features of the car seem very unusual and this is where I would
appreciate some helpful advice.

The details of the car are:  HAN9U/84936 G    12CD DA H 20112

So, the car is a late 69 car, like mine, and has the full width chrome bumbers
but in many other respects is very different from mine.  What I am hoping to
establish is whether or not some of the features were peculiar to this year of
car in USA spec or whether a PO has modified them.

The car has been converted to Alternator and has an unusual all steel one
piece front.

The car has what looks to be a fuel pump in the boot?  Is this usual?

It has dual circuit brakes, collapsible steering column, vinyl covered dash -
are any of these features usual for a USA spec 69 car? (one book I have
suggested that HAN9 cars stopped going to the USA in 69 which suggests the
collaspible steering wheel of the 1970 car was a retro fit?)

The car itself, apart from the front end mods is very solid and original in
the bodywork and apart from a dent in almost every panel looks like it was a
bargain for the money.  In fact if shipping weren't so expensive it might be
worth buying back and restoring in the USA!!  Make an offer and I will pass it
on (there is no paperwork for the car).

Daniel1312