Re: Oil and Oil coolers

To: "Ulix Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Oil and Oil coolers
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 12:03:06 +1100
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I'm not sure there is anything missing here.

David's measurements were after the oil cooler, 160F to 195F, it would
not be unreasonable to expect a temp before the oil cooler of say 180F
to 225F? I know it depends on the number of rows, the airflow through the
cooler etc, but in the absence of data that is what I'd guess.

So lets say operating temp on average of 200F. Minerals oils start
exhibiting
breakdown at 190F, so that there would be a constant rate of breakdown
of the mineral oils. I'd presume that the rate of breakdown is proportional
(in some non-linear manner) to (T - 190F) up to some point where there is
total and catastrophic breakdown of the oil. This is certainly consistent
with a life between oil changes of say 5000km and the steady blackening
of oil with use. Unfortunately I did not ask what the temp range is for
total
breakdown. I think it is safe to say that it wouldn't happen at anywhere
near "normal operating temperatures".

It would not be surprising to realise that there are conflicting criteria
here,
one for rate of breakdown, one for boiling off volatile compounds and water.
Such is engineering. Personally I don't like the idea of those acidic
compounds eating away the soft metal in the engine (eg bearings), nor
the build-ups of deposits. IMHO, if you use mineral oils, this says you
should
change them regularly and strongly consider an oil cooler.

So you pays your money and makes your choices.  It seems to me that
by using synthetic oil, you're stacking the odds in your favour, if not then
an oil cooler does the same for mineral oils.

Mike