RE: Oil and Oil coolers

To: Sprite Maling List <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "'Toby Atwater'" <tob@taltec.net>
Subject: RE: Oil and Oil coolers
From: "Elliott, Patrick" <PElliott@attws-wr.swest.attws.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:31:16 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
        "Oil is for lubrication, water is for cooling. I don't thing one
should do the others job. Then
> again, maybe I'm wrong...."

        Yep.

        Actually some modern engines use oil to keep parts cool. The Acura
GSR engine has little spray heads that spray oil on the bottom side of the
pistons to keep them from melting. Even on our 1950's designed A-series
engines oil is used to keep the valves cool to prevent them from binding in
the guides. (that's gonna get some flames.)   Oil is a good way to dissipate
heat.