Re: Hardtop questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hardtop questions
From: Jaral48462@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 07:34:24 EST
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/19/99 5:56:29 AM Central Standard Time,
Lancer7676@aol.com writes:

<< Nory--BE CAREFUL!!!  There are probably others on the list who know more
than I do about this and I hope will reply, but I read in one of my
restoration books that sanding fiberglass is very dangerous--something about
breathing the dust.     There may be special respirators you can get or
something but please check this out before you start. >>

GOOD advise.  I managed a Fiberglass Manufacturing Business for several years.
I always believed that was my punishment for a misspent youth.  The glass
fiber dust is in fact glass and does not decompose in the lungs.  Will do
damage.  You should always were a respirator when sanding a fiberglass
surface.  The surface preparation of a fiberglass Hard Top should start with
removing the existing painted finish with a good quality paint remover
specific for fiber glass. Some Paint Removers will remove the Gel Coat.  Then
apply a coat of Feather Fill, which is similar to primer used on metal
surfaces.  NOTE:  Feather Fill is a Poly Urethane based product which contains
IsoCyanites (very toxic).  It is best to spray in an area with good
ventilation using the highest quality Respirator you can find.  In
manufacturing a Fiber Glass body panel the exposed class "A" surface is coated
with a Gel Coat which covers the resin impregnated glass fibers to produce a
smooth surface.  In some cases the Gel Coat is color impregnated so that
painting is not required.  In most cases the surfaces as sanded to the desired
surface finish.  You never want to sand through the Gel Coat exposing the
glass fibers.  Doing so will result in being able to read the Glass Fiber in
your finished surface after the Finish coat has thoroughly cured.  Coating the
surface with Feather Fill will fill in the grooves and scratches providing a
soft surface to block sand to the desired finish prior to painting.  Like any
other painting procedure, the preparation of the surface prior to the finish
coat is the most important step in the process.

Good Luck and Protect your lungs.

Ron Mitchell
Ortonville, MI