1098 Questions

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: 1098 Questions
From: Jason Urban <jurban@p3.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:23:43 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi All!!

Well, I started on the engine again last night.  Last Spring I finished my
first ever engine rebuild.  I now know more than I did last time, but I'm
still learning.  The reason behind this rebuild is to clean up some seals,
put on a new head gasket, new flywheel gear, new tranny input seal, port
match the head, and fiddle with a vernier cam gear.  This rebuild has about
700 miles on it.

Anyway, I'm hoping for a little help......
1)  After I pulled the head, there was some "mud" that was left on the
block where water passages from the head don't go thru the block.  What is
this from??
2)  There were dark spots around the head gasket between cylinders.  The
head was decked my a machine shop last rebuild.  I know I had a little head
gasket leak from the long run to Gettysburg over the summer.  That was
mostly cured after a re-torque.  Is this cause for alarm??  I have a better
head gasket now.
3)  There is a dark ridge at the top of the bore.  The pistons also have a
black caked on substance with a little bit of a lighter substance on top of
that.  I know I was running rich for a while and the timing was off.  Is
this oil from run-in??  Should I try to remove it??  I'd rather not get any
crap down on top of the ring between the piston and cylinder wall.
4)  What is the part number for the Summit Racing head studs??

Welp, that should do it for now!!
TIA,
Jason.

|  Jason Urban - APOGEE LABS  215-699-2060    |
|  CA Studio  www.dynanet.com/~crackerarts    |
|             web.p3.net/~jurban              |
|  '95 Z/28 6spd    '65 Austin-Healey Sprite  |