Re: Floor Replacement

To: <LRuggi2635@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Floor Replacement
From: "Bruce Woodward" <brucewoodward@kconline.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 22:47:59 -0500
Cc: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I cheated.  I went down to a local sheet metal shop and had them cut out
some 20 guage cold rolled metal and folded up each side 1/2 inch.  I cut out
the floors with my Sawzall leaving a 1/4" ledge to sit the panels on as I
couldn't figure out how to clamp them in place prior to welding.

Once welded in, I used a seam sealer in a caulking tube to weatherproof the
"ledge" and to cover up my bad weld areas.  I then primed, painted and then
sprayed rubber undercoating to act as sound dampening and resist damage by
pieces falling off of the car and bouncing off of the roadway.

the hardest part of the job was drilling out all the spot welds and trying
to get a decent weld on the front of the crossmember where you can't see
what you're doing.

I did use Moss supplied (via Winner's Circle, Lakewood, Ohio) spring
supports, spring mount repair panels, and bulkhead repair panels as listed
on page 30 of Moss' Oct 5, 1998 Midget Catalogue (BTW, my Midget is
identical to the cover car), items 29, 30, & 31.  they are not as pictured
in the catalogue and have the proper drain and access holes where necessary.
Someone had suggested getting the floor as one piece as per Moss Catalogue,
but that seemed too big of a job to me.

any questions, hollar.

bruce@woodward-realty.com