Never, ever again....

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Never, ever again....
From: VolksPEZ@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 23:05:22 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
will I wait till the week before race season to prep the car.....of course I
say it every year....lets see...this years fiascos....new exhaust went fairly
well.  Went to start it and drive out into the sunshine to adjust timing...no
clutch...45 minutes of bleeding later (after removing the *@# starter) I've
got a clutch again...off into the sunlight we go. After running the motor a
bit and getting the tuning as good as its gonna get with a 45 DCOE strapped
to a stock motor (yes I know its overcarburated, but Ive got a different
motor going in shortly) what should appear, oil...where it shouldnt be, on
the ground....sigh...front pulley seal running like faucet....hmm...where to
get a seal at 700pm...only one option...off the other motor that is awaiting
rebuild...gotta pull the pulley nut...well, impact wrench wouldnt do it...10
ft cheater bar with two big guys on it wouldnt do it...even the old chisel
trick failed...we are getting nowhere fast...my friend volunteers to dissect
his 1340 (currently awating a car)  off we go...nut came right off (motor was
just rebuilt)  remove exhaust manifold, motor mounts yada yada raise motor,
nut comes right off...in fact it was loose...hmmm..maybe not a bad seal after
all...but weve come this far...the seal was in fact very brittle.  At least
when we pulled the cover there were signs the motor has been rebuilt...nice
to know...was a sorta unknown motor.  Timing chain is a bit sloppy...but
thats gonna have to wait.  Cars back together...we run tomorrow...wish me
luck :)

Jim