Re: anti freeze & corrosion

To: Ronsoave@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: anti freeze & corrosion
From: "andy webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 09:33:02 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net

>From: Ronsoave@aol.com
>To: trunkie@hotmail.com
>Subject: Re: anti freeze & corrosion
>Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 10:48:11 EDT

>> This property of coolants requires that you always mix it to at
least
>>  the recommended concentration, so that there is sufficient
>>  concentration of corrosion inhibitors to protect the metal from
the
>>  glycol.
>
>Wouldn't the concentration of inhibitors be the same regardless of
the %
>mixture?  If its ml of inhibitor per liter of EG , and if you're
only
>protecting from the EG, then you'd be covered regardless of the EG-
Water
>ratio.
Logically, yes but...
The glycol is corrosive even when its concn. in the system is low, and
if [glycol] ([]=conc.) is low then chances are [inhibitor] is low too.
The 'corrosiveness' is not directly proportional to [glycol] ,it does
increase but not at the same rate as [gly], at low anti freeze conc.s
there is sufficient glycol to corrode and insufficient inhibitor to
protect. When mixed correctly the [inhibitor] is sufficient to
protect from corrosion.
I would represent this concept with a couple of graphs but we're
not allowed to send attachments are we?