Trip to Lexington

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Trip to Lexington
From: Lancer7676@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 18:58:16 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
WOW!!  Paula and I just returned from a wonderful trip driving from just
north of Knoxville to Lexington, KY in the '79 Midget, Taz.  The weather was
just magnificent--sun Friday afternoon and sunny, not a cloud in the sky
today for the return trip. Sunny yesterday at Keeneland for the horse races.
Didn't know it was possible to pick so many horses who ran dead LAST!!!  But
a great time at the races anyway.

BUT BACK TO THE IMPORTANT STUFF!!!   Taz ran wonderfully--never a
hitch--motor just hummed along like a fine British LBC engine should--I put a
fresh set of plugs and points in her, tuned her really well (best I could),
changed the oil and filter, washed, waxed, Armouralled her--she was ready for
the trip and did she ever deliver!!

I decided to follow old route US 25 instead of the mundane, hell bent for
leather crazies of the interstate--followed the interstate for about 30
miles, and even in that short stretch a car pulled up alongsides, young man
took our picture and waved prolifically before moving on.  Kept her at 55 on
the Interstate, as I tried to do on the secondary roads.  She really showed
her stuff, though, on the 2-lane windy roads.  It was a beautiful, beautiful
drive, capped off with horse farms Interstate drivers never see.

The trip back was punctuated by a neat ride on a free ferry across the
Kentucky River--I sent wife Paula across as a pedestrian with the camera and
she took pics of me and Taz on the way across the river on the Ferry.  Some
bicyclers accompanied me--very appreciative of the car--one of the guys had
an MGA, and of all things, the Ferryman said he used to own a Sprite and a
3000, and he had a friend who owned a bugeye.  I found out how much of an ice
breaker an LBC is--everywhere we went she garnered attention and fostered
conversation. AMAZING how many people "used to have one of those".   I would
even see people who never talked with us pointing at Taz and talking about
her (I bet they were saying to their partner,  "Look Madelene!!  I used to
have one of those!!")  LOL

Anyway--great trip--glad to be home--sitting here with my sunburn slathered
in Aloe vera.  Can't wait to do it again sometime!!

---David