Re: Back to the Intake Backfiring - #$%#$%ing car

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Back to the Intake Backfiring - #$%#$%ing car
From: Les Myer <lesmyer@geocities.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 18:41:19 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Three things can cause popping through the intake.  An experienced ear can
usually tell what the source of the problem is.

1.      too lean of a mixture during the time of the backfire (twisting the idle
mix screw won't tell you anything)
2.      Firing of the spark plug while the intake valve is open (for any reason,
timing, or misfire)
3.      Mechanical problem that allows passage of the combusted mixture back
through the intake valve.

So it's got to be either fuel related, electrical related, or mechanical!
That sure narrows it down!!  :-)

Very difficult to diagnose over the internet.  Could be many things.

Suggested Strategy:

1.      Verify electrical first by oscilloscope and experienced technician
(easiest to do).

2.      Investigate fuel and egr system (tougher to do, but more probable than
mechanical).

3.      Investigate mechanical - last resort

Good luck

Les Myer