Re: auto painting, compressors,

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: auto painting, compressors,
From: Bruce Henderson <bhndrson@west.net>
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 00:32:17 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Toby,

You wrote:  >> Also, my garage is SUPER dusty... I don't know what it is,
but you leave something out for a few hours, and it has a coat of dust on
it, So I guess building a booth would be a good idea.  <<

Absolutely, if you have a dust problem.  It is is as seriously as you say,
you might consider doing it someplace else, but that may not be an option.

>> By the way, it looks like my sprite has had a "recent" paint job, but the
paint comes off really easily. All this paint is going to have to go. How
can I avoid this on my future paint job? I understand clear coating is
popular? <<

If it comes off that easily, and I don't doubt that it does, it means it's
not adhering to the lower coats, let alone any adequate primer coat that it
should have had.  You'll have to get it to at least a dependable layer that
is solidly adhering to whatever is beneath it.  The ideal situation would be
to remove all of the paint down to bare metal, use a quality primer, then a
quality top coat, with or without a clear coat.  Do not rely on a clear coat
to "hold" the paint together.  That is the purpose of the medium within
which the paint pigment is held, that is, the paint itself, be it a laquer,
enamel or polyurethane.

Good luck with your progress.  You seem well on your way.

Regards,
Bruce Henderson