Re: HELP PLEASE from the engine buffs.

To: Ronsoave@aol.com
Subject: Re: HELP PLEASE from the engine buffs.
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 11:22:03 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: SirIanOfCa@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
"How to hot-rod your 1275" or something like that by Des Hammill is a good
book too, even though he builds race engine so he uses tighter tolerances
on some things and is very anal about everything.  The book contains great
pictures and recommendations, I definitely receommend it for the
first-time rebuilder.  A 948cc version of the book is about to come out or
has already come out.
Ulix

On Mon, 3 May 1999 Ronsoave@aol.com wrote:

> >  Is there a bit of a better guide to rebuilding 948s 1098s and 1275s out
> > there
> >  something a little bit better and more informative than the standard
> Haynes
> >  manual?
>
> I use the Haynes as a guideline, but use 2 books on general blueprinting and
> rebuilding as my real bibles.  I don't have them here at work handy, but one
> is called something like "Engine Rebuilding and Blueprinting", and the other
> is, of all things, "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy".  I think they are
> both HP books. These types of books give excellent guidance for disassembly,
> inspection and assembly that is common to most every engine you'll come
> across.  They also give good advice on what to ask your machinist.  They are
> around $15 at B&N or Borders, and you will have several choices.  They are
> all pretty similar.  Even if you don't use it for this job specifically, they
> are usually good books for rebuild techniques, and usually have a section on
> cam theory, automotive math, etc.
>
> >  The number on the engine is 12CJ / DA / H  35531 Can anyone tell me an
> > approx
> >  year this motor was manufactured?
>
> I don't have it with me, but I recall the Victoria British catalog had a
> table up front for identifying engine year.  Anyone?

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9