Re: Strange Grinding Rattle

To: robert@woozy.com
Subject: Re: Strange Grinding Rattle
From: "andy webster" <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 09:03:17 PDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Robert,
You could try to establish where it's coming from by using a 'screwdriver
stethoscope'. Take a big screwdriver or similar long, thin metal tool and
firmly place one end against the engine. press your ear to the other end and
it is an effective way of hesring whats going on in there. Do this at
several points around the engine and when you're near the source of the
sound, it should get louder.
At only 1000 miles surely your timing chain hasn't stretched yet...
I trust that you have changed the oil by now as it will contain particles of
metal from the running in period......
Andy