Re: 1100 tuning

To: Andy Webster <trunkie@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 1100 tuning
From: HFC <froggi@cdsnet.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 13:55:24 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Andy,

Without the aid of a dyno or exhaust analyzer it would be hard to tell whether
or not different needles or jets are in order.  Chances are you do need
different jetting.  The way your engine is equipped indicates a potential higher
degree of efficiency.

It may not be scientific but I've used the following method on motor cycles
(15:1 flat tracker) as well as a turbocharged car running... are you ready for
this... 32 psi boost.  This was a 240Z  I ran in AP and decided to try my luck
at the drags with.  Best run was 11:98 e.t. @ 119 mph, after finally getting it
jetted correctly for full throttle, long distance (1/4+mile) runs.

Start with a new set of plugs.  Find a good road where traffic isn't a problem,
straight as possible.  To avoid getting a ticket, third gear may work.  Run
hard, put the clutch in as you shut off the engine, coast to a stop.  Pull the
plugs and take a "reading".  I do this for different rpm ranges.  This will give
you a fairly accurate indication of how the engine jetted.  More than one run in
each range is advised.  I am assuming here you are familiar with "reading"
plugs.

I know I'll get a tongue lashing from some of you out there, but us old hot
rodders have old (and poor) ways!  Just my thoughts.

WFO Herb
Keep the sticky side down!