Plugs was Re: O2 Sensor for Tuning Carbs & Spark Plug Question

To: JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Plugs was Re: O2 Sensor for Tuning Carbs & Spark Plug Question
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 01:22:17 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 14/5/1999  9:19:44PM,  JZIMMERM@exch.co.albemarle.va.us
writes:

<< Another question that I have is the effect of spark plug heat ranges upon
 combustion.  Exactly how do heat ranges affect the combustion process?
 Assuming that I were running a mixture slightly richer than stochiometric,
 what effect would a colder or hotter plug have on the combustion?  TIA

Hi Jackson,

Interesting point.  I think it is more a case of too hot a plug causing
premature combustion or simply damaging the plug and or the piston crown
(obviously the plug grade has to be some way out).  A colder plug simply
fouls in slow driving because it fails to burn off deposits.

I think that as least as far as the A series engine goes plug type doesn't
make much difference (ie plug electrode type) to power.  I would assume that
the amount of spark energy makes more difference that the plug itself.

Finally, what I have written above is only my best guess opinion based on
limited experience.  I haven't ever found much technical writing on plugs
(advanced stuff that is).

Daniel1312