which speedo and tach?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: which speedo and tach?
From: Ric Otte <otte@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 08:26:18 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi,

I've got a Sprite Mk II that does not have the original speedometer in it,
although it does have the original tach (driven from the generator).  I
don't know if the speedo is the correct one for my rear diff.  I'm thinking
of changing to an alternator and electric tach, and also wanted the tach to
match the looks of my speedometer.  I assume there are several different
models out there.  I recently put in a datsun 5 speed, and before I hook up
the speedo I want to make sure I have the correct one for my rear diff.  I
have a 4.22 rear diff and so I want a speedo that is calibrated for that,
if possible.

My current speedo says this on the face:
SN 6142.00         1472
It is all black with white letters and marks.

Does anyone know what year cars would have speedos and tachs that would be
appropriate?  And how do I recognize them; what numbers do they have on
them (since they may be like mine and not original to the car)?

Since I want to get an electric tach I thought this would be the time to
get matching speedo and tach, and a speedo that is correct for my rear diff.

Thanks very much,

Ric Otte