Re: Hub nuts

To: pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
Subject: Re: Hub nuts
From: Paul A Asgeirsson <pasgeirsson@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 21:25:18 EDT
Cc: mhaynes@ball.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
The rear hub nut only pinches down the inner race.  It has nothing to do
with a bearing adjustment on the rear axle.  That is determined by the
depth of the machined recess in the hub that the bearing sets in and
snugging up of the axle by the lug nuts on the hub.  Sometimes there is
too much play in that arena and you tend to hear it as a funny loud
thumping sound as the wheel hops due to big bumps, pot holes, etc.  You
will replace about everything in the rear running gear and still miss
this excessive clearance noise.  If you have too little clearance, it
tends to manifest itself by giving you a bitch of a time stopping oil
leaks at the axle to hub seal.  O-ring in good shape usually cures that.

Don't worry about overtightening the nut.  Doesn't affect the bearing.

Paul
PAsgeirsson@juno.com