Re: May West Knoxville Driving Challenge

To: froggi@cdsnet.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: May West Knoxville Driving Challenge
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 11:46:13 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 5/18/99 8:33:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
froggi@cdsnet.net writes:

<< A quick question for you and others out there.  I noticed the majority of
the cars
 were without roll bars, which makes it nice for those not wishing to install
one
 for whatever reason.  Our club requires all open cars to have a  bar.

 What's the general run for most clubs out there?  If I could show more local
 events didn't require bars, our club might loosen up. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The SCCA doesn't require roll bars in stock or street classes, but if you
have one, you are allowed to compete in the class.  Same with competition
seat belts.  The roll bar adds strength to the body itself, and therefore
makes the car stiffer so it will handle better.  The additional safety factor
outweighs the added handling, as far as SCCA rules are concerned.

If you are competing and throwing your car around, a roll bar offers a good
bit of piece of mind.  Suppose you blow a tire or drop a suspension bit, and
you lose control of your car right next to an embankment.  A roll bar could
save your life.

So buy another LBC, make one for show and one for GO!!!  Then you can have a
roll bar in the hot setup.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget (with roll bar)
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport