Re: oil

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: oil
From: "Angela Hervey-Tennyson & Peter Westcott" <toobmany@bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 20:21:31 +1000
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Please, which airlines do those bad things?  I'd like to know before I fly!

Castrol may be comparing synthetic to mineral when they made this claim,
full synthetics are inherently more stable so they don't need as many
viscosity stabilisers and yes, full synthetics run cleaner and leave less
deposits.  Unscrupulous vendors have been known to add synthetics to old
smokers because synthetics burn with less smoke.  With the Lotus, well it
IS a Lotus.  Chapman once said that if one of his engines didn't use oil it
wasn't working properly.  If it can't get past the rings or guides then it
has to be the gaskets.  BTW Porsche use Mobil 1 as their factory fill oil,
presumably after breaking in.  The three main grades of Mobil 1 are: 0W30,
0W40 and 5W50.  15W50 is being phased out.  Also BTW beware of oils which
claim to use 'synthetic technology', if the label doesn't say 'full
synthetic', it isn't.

Peter

----------
> The engine builder who put
>  together the bottom end of my BJ7 swears by Mobil One,

I have spent more time than my subcontractors would care to admit tearing
down aircraft turbomachinery after failures, and when we switched to
synthetic type oil I NEVER saw a coked or blue bearing again (we're gonna
change all that, right Peter? Shhhh...).  I saw bearings installed
backwards,
preload springs not installed, bearing carrier pins sheared, but flat-out
bearing failure never again.  HOWEVER: In my Lotus the difference in oil
leaks with synthetic was terrible.  Being all aluminum, I wrote it off to
loose tolerances for expansion/contraction purposes, and switched back.
Regarding the synths, I read that Castrol's is the only one that is
formulated without additional viscosity range enhancers added, and would
ultimately leave fewer deposits on the valves.  I believe there is a
chemist
out there---Andy?