Re: HELP with rings etc. 1275 midget (and a new car!)

To: amesfolks@snovalley.com, mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HELP with rings etc. 1275 midget (and a new car!)
From: Ronsoave@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 20:28:46 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 99-05-31 14:53:27 EDT, amesfolks@snovalley.com writes:

> I need some advice on how, where, and how much new rings would cost me(oil +
>  Compression)

I got my AE .020 over set from British Parts NW (503-864-2001)for $130
(pistons and rings).  Rings alone would be cheap, but you'll kick yourself
later if you have to get back into the bottom end (is your crank / bearings
ok?  $35 for rods, mains, thrusts from BPNW).  You've got to pull a piston to
see what size you've got.  As far as getting the right size, you buy 'em for
the piston size you've got, then gap the ends.  If you have a bore gauge with
your mics, check it bore first that way(and check for taper, concentricity,
etc.).  When you fit the rings, you'll need a ring cutter to cut them to the
right size if necessary.  Don't forget to hone, if nothing else.  When you
install the rings, stagger the gaps.  I think there is a pattern in Haynes, I
use one in one of my blueprinting books, which I don't have handy (it's not
just evenly spaced angles).

I just erased 2 paragraphs of "other stuff" you should change while in there.
 Beware the can of worms, but, as Nory says, "just because you fixed one
problem, don't assume it's the only problem."  Or words to that effect.

Good luck,
Ron