Speedbleeders (was Re: Bleeding Clutch)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedbleeders (was Re: Bleeding Clutch)
From: Ronsoave@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 08:26:11 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
On this past week's brake job, I uninstalled and then reinstalled
Speedbleeders on the Bug (you shouldn't bleed a dry system with them on; you
have to get most of the air out conventionally, then use the speedys when
you've got "90%" of the air out).  Two things:

1) I wondered about the sensitivity of the torque on them,  The manual is
specific about using 32 - 40 inch pounds.  I assume this is because they're
stainless and they are afraid of galling / stripping the wheel cylinder
threads, but I really can't get my torque wrench in there when re-tightening.
 Has anyone had any problems down the road from improper torque?

2) Has anyone installed one on the clutch?  What size?  Same as brakes? I
haven't bled my clutch since installed the 1275, and I really didn't enjoy
it, so I ain't going in there to look unless I have to, but the speedys would
help someday.

BTW, the Speedbleeders are a good thing, and I recommend them otherwise.

Ron