Re: Fitting Car Radio Shafts ?

To: robert@woozy.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, chuckc@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Fitting Car Radio Shafts ?
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 13:14:40 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 6/1/99 11:29:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time, robert@woozy.com
writes:

<< >> <rant>BUTTTTT ... because of the lack-of-depth in the console,
 >> and the length of even the shortest modern car audio units,
 >> With the mounting plate in place, the left and right threaded
 >> shafts that mount the radio and that house the on/off/volume
 >> and tuning shafts, stick way, way, WAY out (like an inch or
 >> so) before terminating in the plastic knobs. >>

Sorry I missed the original post to this, but I had a busy weekend.

Most of the shaft type auto radios have moveable controls so you can set the
entire control back or stick them out as required.  You'll have to pull the
radio out to see, but if you look at the side of the radio, you should see a
series of locating holes beside the two controls.  Loosen the mounting nuts
at the base of each control shaft (not the mounting nuts that hold the radio
in the console...the ones behind them) and angle the control so the pin moves
out of the locating hole on the side of the radio.  Then you can move the
control back.  After inserting the pin in the correct hole, retighten the nut
and the control is secured.

Most of them work this way.  It's better to try this before cutting the shaft.

Good luck,

Allen Hefner (used to work at Radio Shack!)
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport